Thursday, October 30, 2008

Down, But Not Out

That's a good description of me, because I've been sick as a dog these past few days, and it's a good description of the McCain campaign too.

I honestly don't know where this is all going to end up, because the polls are all over the place, but I honestly think that McCain can still pull it out. Here's why:

1. Until the actual young voters turn out heavily for Obama, I'll doubt that they'll do so. Every four years, the youth vote is expected to turn out, only to disappoint those who, like Kerry in 2004, were counting on them.

2. Pennsylvania is drifting toward McCain, and I think it might surprise Obama in the same way it went for Hillary during the primaries.

3. Old people always turn out to vote, and they tend to be more conservative, so I figure this one will favor McCain overall.

The one thing I don't think is working against Obama is race -- if anything, I think it's working for him. I think many people who love this country and believe in its promise are positively eager to vote for an American President who happens to have African heritage, as Obama does. For me, his far-left ideas, his lack of experience, and his profoundly anti-free trade stance work against him, but that's just me.

Whichever way it turns out, it sure is going to be an interesting night next Tuesday!

No comments: